Much of Dumfries and Galloway has visitor attractions linked with Robert Burns and there are a number of famous gardens that nestle in the valleys and coastal inlets that abound. Some of the most beautiful scenery is to be found along the Solway coast, west from Dumfries to the Mull of Galloway. Here you'll find the romantic ruins of Caerlaverock Castle, Threave Castle and Sweetheart Abbey, along with Whithorn Priory. Also on this lovely coast is the beguiling town of Kirkcudbright, inspiration for some of Scotland's most famous artists and still a thriving artistic colony.
Things to do in Galloway
Dalbeattie Forest is a center of mountain biking, walking, horse riding, and beautiful scenery. Various activities are held in the forest, from wildlife walks to study building.
Dulce Cor Abbey, commonly known as "Sweetheart Abbey," is a Cistercian monastery built-in 1275.
Glenluce Abbey, near Glenluce, Scotland, was a Cistercian monastery, also called Luce Abbey or Vallis Lucis, founded around 1190 by Rolland or Lochlann, Lord of Galloway and Constable of Scotland. After the Scottish Reformation in 1560, the abbey fell into disuse.
Dundrennan Abbey, at Dundrennan in Scotland, is a Cistercian monastery in the Romanesque style, founded in 1142 by monks from Rievaulx Abbey with the support of Fergus of Galloway and King David I of Scotland (1124-1153).
St Mary's Abbey, Crossraguel is a ruin of an ancient abbey near the town of Maybole in South Ayrshire, Scotland. Even though it is a ruin, visitants can still see the monks' original church, cloister, and dovecote.
Cardoness Castle is a well-preserved 15th-century tower house located southwest of Gatehouse of Fleet in the historic county of Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland. The MacCullochs of Myreton initially owned it. They abandoned the castle in the late 17th century after Sir Godfrey McCulloch was executed for the murder of a Clan Gordon neighbor. It is now under the care of Historic Environment Scotland and is a listed monument.
Threave Castle is a mid-4th century keep situated on an island in the River Dee, two and a half miles west of Castle Douglas, in Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland. It served as a fortress for the Black Douglas until their fall in 1455.
Caerlaverock Castle is a 13th-century castle with a triangular plan and moat. It is located in the National Nature Reserve of the same name, south of Dumfries, in the Dumfries and Galloway area of south-west Scotland.
Logan Botanic Garden
Logan Botanic Garden is a botanic garden near Port Logan on the Rhine of Galloway, at the southwestern tip of Scotland. Like Dawyck in the Scottish Borders and Benmore in Argyll and Bute, Logan is an outstation or local garden of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.
St Ninian's Cave
St. Ninian's Cave is a cave located in Physgill Glen, Whithorn, Dumfries, and Galloway, Scotland. Excavations in the 1880s and 1950s uncovered a collection of early medieval carved stones. There were 18 in all, most embedded in a post-medieval wall, others lying loose inside the cave or at its mouth.
Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre
Clatteringshaws Visitor Centre is located in the heart of Galloway Forest Park. Visit the tea room before venturing out to discover the mysteries of the Queens Way.
Mabie Forest offers world-class mountain bike trails, quiet picnic areas, stunning views, and walks for all abilities.
Castle of St John
St John's Castle is a medieval tower house in the center of Stranraer. It was built around 1500 by the Adairs of Kilhilt, one of the most powerful families in Wigtownshire.
Drumlanrig Castle is a Scottish castle in the Dumfries and Galloway district of Scotland and is a UK-listed building. The Duke of Buccleuch owns it. The building, built between 1679 and 1689 in pink sandstone, is typical of late 17th century Renaissance architecture. It was built on the site of a former Douglas fortress overlooking Nith Valley. The present castle has 120 rooms, 17 turrets, and four towers. It houses one of the two original versions of the painting The Madonna of the Spindles by Leonardo da Vinci and his workshop, stolen in 2003 but recovered and returned in 2007.