Lennox Castle

East Dunbartonshire


Members of the Kincaid of that Ilk clan built their ancestral home, Kincaid House, in Milton of Campsie in the 1810s. The descendant John Lennox Kincaid had Lennox Castle made a few miles west at Campsie Fells' foot in 1837. David Hamilton was the architect responsible for the planning. Lennox Castle was finally completed in 1841. Among others, Charles Bateman-Hanbury-Kincaid-Lennox, a member of the House of Commons, lived on the estate. He married the heiress of Lennox Castle in 1861 and took her name.