Built-in sandstone with a dominant grey color, the cathedral was begun in 1260 and completed in 1501. It stands on the site of the former Culdee Monastery in Dunkeld.
Due to the long construction period, the cathedral has a hybrid architecture. Gothic and Norman elements blend throughout the building. Although partially in ruins, the cathedral is in regular use and is open to the public. The small chapter "House Museum" offers relics from the medieval and monastic period and exhibitions of local history.
The relics of Saint Colomba of Iona, including his bones, are believed to have been kept in Dunkeld until the Scottish Reformation when they were moved to Ireland.