Hopetoun House

Linlithgow

About

William Bruce began the castle in 1699-1701. William Adam, between 1721 and 1748, considerably extended it. The internal fittings were completed by his sons John and Robert Adam between 1748 and 1752.
The park was designed by William Adam in 1725 and completed in the late 18th century. 
The castle and estate were created for the Hope family, who retained them directly until the 20th century. In 1974, the property was transferred to a foundation for its preservation and management, but the present Earl of Hopetoun and his family still live in the castle.
The castle and its areas are open to visitors, and many activities are offered. The rooms are rented out for weddings, seminars, and other events, and the castle also hosts film shoots.

Where we are

South Queensferry, Edinburgh
EH30 9RW

Get directions