Bruichladdich was founded in the west of Islay in 1881 by the Harvey brothers. After a long history, the distillery closed in 1994. In 2001, a group of enthusiasts led by the independent bottler Murray MacDavid took over the distillery and restarted production. The current head of the distillery is Adam Hannett. He succeeds in 2015 to Jim Mc Ewan, elected several times "distiller of the year."
The winery has two washing stills and two stills, producing nearly 1.4 million liters of pure alcohol per year.