The center of this complex is the charcoal blast furnace. The industrial park was built in 1753 by Richard Ford's small business Newland Company. The reason that motives this location's choice is that there is enough wood to produce charcoal in the area, and the water pressure in the river is enough to drive a waterwheel. As the company itself was established in Cumbria, its local representative managed the blast furnace. During the construction process, most of the building materials were shipped from Cumbria. To produce blast furnace pig iron, it must first be heated to a temperature of about one week. The oven has been used almost continuously for nine months.