Abertarff House, a 2½-storey townhouse with a projecting turnpike stairway, was built for the Frasers of Lovat in 1593. It remained in their family for over 200 years. The Commercial Bank of Scotland acquired Abertarff House in the 19th century and gifted it to the National Trust for Scotland in 1963. The house was restored by the Trust in 1966, and over the past 50 years it has been used as the headquarters for An Comunn Gàidhealach, our regional headquarters and the Highland Council’s office base for Scotland’s Homecoming Festival. Our regional offices are now located in Balnain House, just across the River Ness.