The tower dating back from the 11th century is one of only two such towers in Scotland. The other is located in Brechin and is listed as a regular monument.
The roofless sandstone tower has a height of 22.5 m and a ground diameter of 4.57 m, which tapers upward to 3.96 m. The walls are 1.07 m thick. The 12 lower floors and the rest of the building use different colored stones, leading to speculation that the foundation was constructed earlier than the rest. There are indications that the tower originally had six wooden floors, possibly connected by ladders. The tower's external base is fixed with Pictish stone; the tower is also equipped with a long iron handle or occiput.
During the years, various changes have been made to the tower, including the installation of an iron spiral staircase to make it a became watchtower, windows, and outdoor clock. The current clock date is 1868.