St Mary's Cathedral

A Churches in Edinburgh City Centre

Photo - St Mary's Cathedral

In 1689 after the abdication of James VII/II, the Reformed Church in Scotland divided over the issue of the Stuart Succession. Two churches came into being: the Presbyterian Church established by King William, and the Episcopal Church which remained loyal to the Stuart cause. One consequence was that St Giles' Cathedral, as it then was, came under the Established Church's ministry, and the Episcopal Diocese was left without a cathedral. After the site was bequeathed by the Drumsheugh Estate, a design competition was held and won by Gorge Gilbert Scott (who was then told to add two extra towers!) and the foundation stone was laid on 21 May 1874 by the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry. The Nave of the Cathedral was opened on 25th January 1879 and from that day, daily services have been held in the Cathedral.

St Mary's Cathedral

Palmerston Place,
Edinburgh
EH12 5AW
T Tel: 0131 225 6293
Visit website

Additional Photos




The Private House Stay's Guide

Edinburgh City Centre

The Old Town of Edinburgh is built on a ridge that rises gradually from the Palace of Holyrood to Edinburgh Castle. There are staircase lanes, called Wynds, that lead off this 'Royal Mile' that give the impression of the city being built on multiple levels and buildings that date from the 11th Century. The New Town is also a World Heritage Site with its mix of Georgian town houses and the earliest examples in Europe of tenement flats. The views to be had from the Castle, Arthur's Seat and Calton Hill are dramatic and inspiring.