St John's Church

A Churches in Edinburgh City Centre

Photo - St John's Church

The Church of St John the Evangelist was designed by William Burn, one of the foremost architects of his day. He chose the revived perpendicular gothic style, which was just becoming fashionable at that time. His design consisted originally of seven bays with five windows on each side, a flat east end with rose-type tracery at the apex of the window, and a tower at the west end surmounted by an open lantern. During construction the design was extended by one bay, giving eight bays with six windows on each side. The work was nearly completed when in January 1818 a great storm blew down the open lantern, which was never replaced. The most notable internal feature was the plaster ceiling vault, which is derived from King Henry VII's chapel in Westminster Abbey.

St John's Church

The Church of St John the Evangelist
Princes Street,
Edinburgh,
EH2 4BJ
T Tel: 0131 229 7565
Visit website

Additional Photos




The Private House Stay's Guide

Edinburgh City Centre

The Old Town of Edinburgh is built on a ridge that rises gradually from the Palace of Holyrood to Edinburgh Castle. There are staircase lanes, called Wynds, that lead off this 'Royal Mile' that give the impression of the city being built on multiple levels and buildings that date from the 11th Century. The New Town is also a World Heritage Site with its mix of Georgian town houses and the earliest examples in Europe of tenement flats. The views to be had from the Castle, Arthur's Seat and Calton Hill are dramatic and inspiring.