South Leith Parish Church

A Churches in Edinburgh City Centre

Photo - South Leith Parish Church

South Leith Parish Church is located at Kirkgate, just North of the Kirkgate shopping Centre at the foot of Leith Walk. Since the area has buildings closely pressed together the church and graveyard act as focal point open space within the oldest part of Leith. Although parts of the church date back to 1483 and its has history of being bombarded by the English in 1560 when Scotland was supporting a Catholic pretender to the throne, the church\'s main attraction dates from after its restoiration in 1848. It has a magnificent hammerbeam ceiling and the entire east end of the church is also very striking, terminating with a stained glass window flanked by organ pipes. A series of flags hang in the church that commemorate the little known Quintinshill rail disaster on 22 May 1915 when many of those killed were men of the Royal Scots Regiment who had been recruited in Leith.

South Leith Parish Church

6 Henderson Street,
Edinburgh,
EH6 6BS
T 0131 554 2578
Visit website

Additional Photos




The Private House Stay's Guide

Edinburgh City Centre

The Old Town of Edinburgh is built on a ridge that rises gradually from the Palace of Holyrood to Edinburgh Castle. There are staircase lanes, called Wynds, that lead off this 'Royal Mile' that give the impression of the city being built on multiple levels and buildings that date from the 11th Century. The New Town is also a World Heritage Site with its mix of Georgian town houses and the earliest examples in Europe of tenement flats. The views to be had from the Castle, Arthur's Seat and Calton Hill are dramatic and inspiring.