A Mansion Houses in Edinburgh City Centre
The north side of Charlotte Square is Robert Adam's masterpiece of urban architecture. The Georgian House, with its elegant furnished interior, is located at No. 7 Charlotte Square. The Square was conceived by Robert Adam as a paradigm of the Georgian ideal in the centre of Edinburgh. A heady vision of sweeping crescents, broad boulevards and elegant squares, the New Town of Edinburgh offered wealthy citizens in the late 18th century a means of escape from the overcrowded tenements of the Old Town.
The Georgian House was built in 1796 for John Lamont, 18th Chief of the Clan Lamont, and he lived here with his family until 1815. The house has been magnificently restored to show a typical Edinburgh New Town House of the late 18th to early 19th century. The fine collection of period furniture, porcelain, silver and glass reflects the lifestyle and social and economic conditions of the time.
1-27 March, daily, 11-4 (last admission 3.30)
28 March to 30 June, daily, 10-5 (last admission 4.30)
1 July to 31 August, daily, 10-6 (last admission 5.30)
1 September to 31 October, daily, 10-5 (last admission 4.30)
1-30 November, daily, 11-3 (last admission 2.30)
Admission prices : FREE to members - Join Now
1 Parent Â£10.50
T 0844 493 2117 Visit website
The Private House Stay's Guide
Edinburgh City Centre
The Old Town of Edinburgh is built on a ridge that rises gradually from the Palace of Holyrood to Edinburgh Castle. There are staircase lanes, called Wynds, that lead off this 'Royal Mile' that give the impression of the city being built on multiple levels and buildings that date from the 11th Century. The New Town is also a World Heritage Site with its mix of Georgian town houses and the earliest examples in Europe of tenement flats. The views to be had from the Castle, Arthur's Seat and Calton Hill are dramatic and inspiring.