A Ancient Castles in Edinburgh City Centre
Edinburgh Castle is arguably the centre of Scotland's royal history. Regularly sacked and burned by invaders, the current Castle represents several different rebuildings over the years. The Castle first appears in recorded history after the death of Queen, later Saint, Margaret, the wife of Malcolm Canmore, in 1093. The oldest remaining part is named after her - St Margaret\'s Chapel dates back to the 12th century. The Great Hall was built under James IV around 1510, while the Half Moon Battery was added by Regent Morton later that century. The Scottish National War Museum was added after the end of World War I. National treasures such as the Honours of Scotland (the Crown Jewels), the Stone of Destiny, upon which kings of Scotland were traditionally crowned and the 15th century gun Mons Meg are also here. The One O\'clock Gun fires from the Castle ramparts every day, which was once a signal to the ships in port at Leith. There are guided tours as well as audio tours in various languages Apr - Oct: 9.30 - 18:00 (last entry 17:15) Nov - Mar: 9.30 - 17:00 (last entry 16:15) Closed 25 / 26 December, 1st Jan open 11:00 - 17:00 Adult: Ã‚£9.80 Concession: Ã‚£7.50 Child: Ã‚£3.50 Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Car and coach parking, disabled access and toilets, shops, cafe, audio tour in six languages, Braille guide and models.
T 0131 668 8600 Visit website
The Private House Stay's Guide
Edinburgh City Centre
The Old Town of Edinburgh is built on a ridge that rises gradually from the Palace of Holyrood to Edinburgh Castle. There are staircase lanes, called Wynds, that lead off this 'Royal Mile' that give the impression of the city being built on multiple levels and buildings that date from the 11th Century. The New Town is also a World Heritage Site with its mix of Georgian town houses and the earliest examples in Europe of tenement flats. The views to be had from the Castle, Arthur's Seat and Calton Hill are dramatic and inspiring.