A Ancient Castles in Arran
The original building dates to the thirteenth century when it was owned by the MacSweens. In 1262, King Alexander III granted the castle and its lands to Walter Stewart, the Earl of Menteith. It is believed that Robert the Bruce landed at Lochranza in 1306 on his return from Ireland to claim the Scottish throne. By 1371, the castle has become the property of Robert II. It is thought that at this time it was used as a royal hunting lodge.
The castle has seen many varied uses over time. During the 1490s, James IV used the castle in his campaign against the Lord of the Isles and his Clan MacDonald. In 1614 it was occupied by James VI and in the 1650s it was used by Cromwell.
By 1705, Lochranza Castle had become the property of the Hamilton family, when it was purchased by the Duchess of Hamilton. The Hamilton family had owned other estates on the Isle of Arran. During the eighteenth century, the castle fell into disuse and disrepair and was abandoned. The castle is now in the care of Historic Scotland.
Isle Of Arran
The Private House Stay's Guide
The Isle of Arran the most southerly Scottish island and sits in the Firth of Clyde between Ayrshire and Kintyre. Arran is 19 miles long by 10 miles wide but has a remarkable diversity of landscapes and seascapes.The pretty villages on Arran's beautiful coastline are complemented by a rugged and mountainous interior in the north and green rolling hills and woodland in the south. From Ardrossan the ferry leaves to Arran which was inhabited by the Vikings for centuries but also has associations with the early Christians and abounds with stone circles, pictish carvings and burial cairns.